Virtual Viewing FAQ's
Virtual Viewing FAQ's
IMPORTANT: To ensure your set up is compatiable with our platform before purchasing tickets, please try testing both of the following two events. Be sure to watch the content that follows the DOXA sponsor pre-roll in order to test for complete technical compatibility:
1) 2020 festival trailer. You can order a free ticket to test here.
2) 2020 welcome to the festival. You can order a free ticket to test here.
LIVE CHAT SUPPORT is available at the bottom of this page: https://watch.eventive.org/help
I forgot my password. What should I do?
- If you don't remember your password, you can reset it here: (https://doxa2020.eventive.org/forgot)
- Once you've reset your password, return to the online festival (https://doxa2020.eventive.org) and try logging in again.
- If you are still having trouble accessing your account, don't hesitate to contact us at ([email protected])
I have not received a confirmation email for my ticket/pass. How do I access the festival?
- Eventive automatically emails your pass confirmation to your email, with the subject line: Pass order confirmation - 2020 DOXAFestival.
- If you did not receive it, please check your spam folder.
- If the email is not in your spam folder, then try logging in with your email address to access DOXA’s online festival at https://doxa2020.eventive.org
- If you still are having trouble, contact us at ([email protected]).
I bought a film program and now it's telling me to unlock it again. What do I do?
Please confirm that you are logged in with the same email address or Facebook login you used to purchase your pass or ticket. You can login using the login link, or if you are not logged in at all you’ll be prompted to login after clicking "Unlock Now."
I have a discount code how do I redeem it?
Find the film you would like to watch on https://doxa2020.eventive.org/films
Click "Unlock Now" or "Pre-order Now"
It will say Unlock/Pre-order ”Film Title” $8.99/$6.99. Below that it will say “Have a Discount Code?” Click that and input your discount code. This cost will change to $0.00. Proceed to sign in to Eventive or create an account, if you do not already have one. Now you can enjoy the film.
All Festival films are accessible through our Eventive page at https://doxa2020.eventive.org/welcome. You can screen the films directly from your laptop/desktop or mobile phone. Click “Film guide” to see all the films we’ll have available during the festival. Click on any film to read our program notes and if you’re interested you can buy a ticket by clicking “Select a showing”.
You will receive an email with instructions to access the film after purchasing tickets to a screening.
Want to test your computer/smartphone to ensure you can view the films before the Festival begins?
To ensure your set up is compatiable with our platform, please try testing both of the following two events:
2) 2020 welcome to the festival. You can order a free ticket to test here.
What are the system requirements?
You can watch content on PCs running Windows 7+, and Intel-based Macs running macOS 10.12+.
You can also watch films on Android tablets and phones using Chrome, and on iPhones and iPads using Safari.
What are the requirements for Windows computers?
Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10
Supported browsers: Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Opera.
We recommend using the latest version of your browser. Internet Explorer is not supported.
What are the requirements for Mac computers?
macOS 10.12 or later
Supported browsers: Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Opera.
We recommend using the latest version of your browser.
Can I view films on my iPhone/iPad?
Yes, you can view films using Safari on iOS 11.2 or later.
Can I view films on my Android device?
Yes, you can view films using Chrome on Android 6.0 or later.
Important note: Due to content protection restrictions, the Screen Mirroring feature cannot be used. Additionally, HDMI or other video dongles cannot be connected to your device. Instead, use AirPlay or Eventive's dedicated TV app to watch on your TV.
Can I view films at any time or are they scheduled?
Most of the films will be available to watch once, after purchase, at your leisure from June 18–26, but there may be a select few that have date and/or time restrictions. Check out the Live events page on our website. Click on the film to see information regarding the screening schedule and any restrictions. For any films with time restrictions, you will have a three-hour window from the listed start time to unlock the program.
I want to view films outside of Canada (BC)?
Most of the films have geographic restrictions. Click on the film to see information regarding any restrictions. For any films with additional time restrictions, keep in mind that all times are listed in Pacific Time (PT).
I want to rewind or restart the film—can I?
Yes, you have complete access to the entire film during your watch window.
What about watching a film more than once?
Once you click Play on a film program, you have 24 hours to watch it. This is to prevent users from sharing login information. If you would like to invite a friend or family member to watch a program, please encourage them to purchase a pass or buy a one-time screening ticket. After you've started viewing a program, you will see an indication of how much time is left.
Is there a way to create a watch list?
You can create a watch list using the My Content Library feature in the https://doxa2020.eventive.org.
- Add content to your library by unlocking the films that you would like to watch within the player.
- Go to https://doxa2020.eventive.org and make sure you are signed in to your account in the upper right corner.
- Go to the program you wish to add to your content library.
- Click Unlock and select Unlock with [DOXAPass/Your Name] for $0, the film will be added to your Content Library under the Currently Unlocked label.
- To view your Content Library, click your initials in the upper right corner, and from the drop-down menu, select My Content Library.
- Once you click Unlock, you will be able to view the film anytime within the dates of the festival.
Do the films have closed captioning?
Closed Captions are available on select browsers please contact us at [email protected]
We recommend that all Apple users use Safari.
Closed Captions are not currently available on Apple TV or Roku.
Are films rated?
No. DOXA films are for 18+ viewers. Check the film descriptions—some films may have challenging content—and the description will help you make a decision based on your household.
Note: Do not click or press play until you are ready to watch the film. Once you do you have 24 hours to watch the film.
APPLE TV APP*
*Available only for Apple TV models Generation 4 and higher.
- From your Apple TV device, launch the App Store.
- Search for the app Eventive TV and install the app.
- Here's how to download apps from the App Store to your Apple TV.
- Once the app is installed, it will ask you for a code to connect to your Eventive account.
- Navigate your computer to https://doxa2020.eventive.org/ and log in at the upper right-hand corner.
- From the same menu in the upper right-hand corner, select TV app setup and enter the code from your Apple TV device.
- You must first unlock programs on your computer, tablet or Smartphone to be able to watch them on your Apple TV.
ROKU (BETA VERSION)
The Eventive app for Roku is in Beta version and changes may be made to the app at any point.
- From your computer, tablet or Smartphone, add the Eventive channel to your TV by going here: https://my.roku.com/add/6MHHHM2 *The channel is not currently available in the Roku app store, you must add it by visiting the website.
- Click OK when the BETA version pop-up comes up.
- Click Yes, add channel to add Eventive TV - BETA to your account.
- Check your TV to see if the Eventive app has been added. Select the app with your TV remote to bring up the DOXA program on the app.
- Once the app is installed, on your computer, tablet or Smartphone, navigate to https://doxa2020.eventive.org/ and log in at the upper right-hand corner.
- You must first unlock programs on your computer, tablet or Smartphone to be able to watch them on your Roku.
- Make sure your devices (iPhone, iPad, laptop, Apple TV or Smart TV) are connected to the same wifi network.
- Using the Safari browser on your Apple computer, iPhone or iPad, go to the AirPlay icon.
- Connect to your Apple TV by entering the code. Your device screen should appear as a mirror on your TV.
- If you are having audio sync issues when AirPlaying from your computer, try connecting from an iPhone or iPad.
- If you are trying to AirPlay to a Smart TV, you must first select the program you want to watch from your Apple device and then select the AirPlay button from within the Eventive player.
- Still having trouble? Here's a step-by-step guide on how to use AirPlay.
Stream directly from a tab in the Chrome internet browser to a TV connected to a Chromecast device from your Mac or PC computer.
Note: At this time, Chromecast is not available to cast from Apple iOS devices, like the iPhone and iPad. Once your Chromecast is set up you can stream directly from your computer.
- On the video page, open the Chrome menu in the upper right corner of the window (or the View menu) and select Cast. Make sure the tab you want to be displayed is the one you are selecting to cast.
- Select your Chromecast source (consider selecting Chrome tab) and your Chromecast destination. Chromecast will then be connected and video will play on your TV.
- To disconnect from Chromecast, click the blue Stop icon next to your casting destination.
- If there are any issues with the Chromecast stream, try setting the video to a lower quality.
- Still having trouble? Here's a guide on how to use Chromecast from your computer.
Please note: livestreams are currently not available via the TV app. You can cast them from another device to your TV.
Where can I find the livestream event schedule?
If a film or presentation has a live component, it will have an indicator on it that says Livestream Event. Click the film or presentation to see the time and date of the live event. Once you are in the online festival you will find these programs in the Live Streams section.
How do I watch a livestream event?
If you’ve ordered a film that includes an on-demand title plus a livestream, simply select the livestream from the right sidebar and then click “enter livestream” at the designated time. There is a countdown clock on the livestream window to let you know when it will start.
Can I watch a livestream event after it’s over?
Yes, livestreams are recorded and made available to ticket holders for the duration of the film availability window.
Can I watch live events from the Apple TV app?
Live events will not be available to watch from the Apple TV app.
In order to participate in the Q&A during a live event, you will need to watch from a computer to use the chat feature within the player. You can also watch live events from a tablet or smartphone; however, these devices will have limited functionality in the chat.
I clicked on a film program but it will not play. Why?
Please confirm that you are not on a VPN (Virtual Private Network). Eventive’s content protection protocol does not allow VPN access.
Are you logged in with the correct account? Please check your login status at the upper right of the Eventive window. If you are logged in you will see a circle with the initials of the account holder. To switch accounts, click on the circle and select “sign out,” then login (using email address or facebook login) to the preferred account.
If you are not logged in, you’ll see the word “login” at the upper right of the window. Click “login” and enter the desired account credentials.
You may also log in directly from the order pop-up if you click “unlock movie” while logged out.
If all you see in the player window is a black screen, please click or tap on the window to activate the player controls.
Why does the image quality of the films change sometimes?
The quality of the image depends on a few factors:
- Your internet speed.
- The player will auto-adjust to your internet speed.
- Your internet speed may change periodically based on how many other users are on your home network, the time of day, etc.
- The quality of the image depends on the quality of the source we receive.
- Please consider that we are using the best available material.
Does my web browser affect streaming?
You will have the best streaming with the browsers listed above. If you are trying to access a film program and receive an error message, clear your browser history, then close and restart your browser.
Why does video playback stall or not play smoothly?
Eventive uses adaptive bitrate streaming which means the streaming quality will automatically adjust based on your internet speed. If your internet connection is poor or inconsistent you may experience problems during playback. If you’re on wifi, try moving closer to your router.
How do I adjust the volume on the web player?
Hover the cursor over the video you are currently watching to make the video controls visible. On the bottom left, the sound icon controls the volume.
To control how high or low the volume is, hover the cursor over the volume bar and click the left side to lower the volume or the right side to raise the volume.
Live Chat is available at the bottom of the Eventive's FAQ Guide.
If you have specific questions or require support, please email [email protected], or call 604.646.3200 ext. 106.
We appreciate your patience as we navigate the many changes to our festival format.
#110 – 750 Hamilton St, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6B 2R5 | 604.646.3200The Documentary Media Society is located on the traditional and unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səl̓ílwətaʔɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) peoples.