Submit to DOXA 2024
DOXA is an international documentary film festival featuring new work selected by a committee, as well as thematic programming presented by independent curators. We are seeking submissions of short to feature length documentaries for our 23rd annual festival, happening May 2 thru May 12, 2024. This call for submissions is for recently completed documentary films. Awards categories include Feature Documentary, Short Documentary, Canadian Documentary, Nigel Moore Award for Youth Programming and Elevate Award.
SCHEDULE & FEES
Early Bird Submissions
Fees: $35 International Films | $25 Canadian Films
Deadlines: Nov. 7 International Films | Nov. 14 Canadian Films
Fees: $55 International Films | $40 Canadian Films
Deadlines: Dec. 12
Fees: $70 International Films | $50 Canadian Films
Deadlines: Dec. 20 International Films | Jan. 3 Canadian Films
Please note: The fees listed are in USD.
(You may notice that this timeline is different than in years previous; we're taking a close look at labour at DOXA, including our submissions process and the immense volume of films that our committees and staff must watch each year. We're making strategic moves in order to hopefully expand our capacity behind the scenes.)
• Projects completed after January 1, 2023 will be prioritized.
• Projects that have not screened (theatrical, online or broadcast) to audiences in Vancouver BC prior to the festival will be prioritized.
•You may submit with an online screener. Please do not send DVD or Blu-Ray copies.
• Rough cuts are eligible ONLY IF final cuts will be available by March 14, 2024.
• Work produced in languages other than English must be subtitled in English.
• Please enclose a brief synopsis and screening history.
• More weight is given to projects with do not take a conventional journalistic or commercial approach.
• Fee waivers are available for Indigenous filmmakers. Please email sarah.ouazzani[at]doxafestival.ca for more information.
• All entrants will be notified by April 4, 2024.
• DOXA Documentary Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film (or film still) submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes.
• The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless The Documentary Media Society ("DOXA Documentary Film Festival"), its Board of Directors, employees, and agents from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
• DOXA aims to pay all independent filmmakers selected through the submission process a screening fee and/or assist with travel/accommodations to attend the festival.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Use the FilmFreeway service. Film details and payment can be submitted directly through FilmFreeway.
Questions regarding the 2024 submissions process can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.