Business and Finance Manager
We are seeking a dynamic and detail-oriented individual who is interested in working in a busy, energetic, film-loving environment to fill the position of Business and Finance Manager. All applicants must have the ability to work within a Mac environment, possess the ability to work independently and collaboratively with a small team, with an aptitude for positive communication.
DOXA’s Business and Finance Manager reports to the board of directors and works with the Director of Programming and other staff. The successful candidate brings financial management acumen and collaborative leadership style toward the success of the organization, in order to meet short and long term goals for deepening impact and community engagement.
Term: Starting in January 2018, at 32 hours/week, with possibility of increased hours.
- Board and Committees
- Report directly to the Board
- Attend and report at Board Meetings
- With Director of Programming, serve as liaison between staff and board
- Work with the board in planning strategically for short and long term goals.
- Organize and maintain society records.
- Human Resources
- Facilitate staff communications and processes required within the organizational structure.
- Negotiate and execute staff contracts, as required.
- Ensure employees and contractors meet labour law requirements.
- Oversee the HR needs of the organization and work with staff leadership to ensure realistic execution of activities with available resources.
- Financial Management
- In collaboration with staff:
- Prepare annual organizational budget
- Ensure financial targets are met
- Make ongoing financial decisions regarding budget development, amendments, reductions, and/or extraordinary expenses.
- Maintain and manage CADAC reports
- Reconcile, monitor and allocate funds between all DOXA accounts.
- Record day to day financial transactions in bookkeeping software and complete the posting process.
- Process accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll.
- Prepare tax receipts for charitable donations.
- Assist with preparation of materials for annual financial statements.
- In collaboration with staff:
- Fundraising / Revenue Generation
- Assist the Development Manager to develop sponsor, donor, and ad sales strategies to meet budgeted targets.
- Responsible for leading the application and reporting on grant applications with public funders, government agencies, and foundations.
- Work with staff to build and maintain stakeholder (funder, government agencies, donors) relationships.
- Box Office and Events
- Work with Operations Manager to ensure smooth box office operations via the Seat Advisor platform.
- Ensure financial and box office operational and compliance procedures are met, including training and supporting associated staff.
- Oversee daily Festival and Event box office reconciliations, for each venue.
- Process internal and external box office requests, as required.
- Input events and maintain the box office software, as required.
- Work with staff to ensure DOXA activities are planned and executed within available resources.
- Organizational Operations
- Exercise effective time management - work with staff to set and meet deadlines.
- Ensure filings of Charities Report, BC Society Report, WCB, T4s, ROEs, and other statutory filings.
- Maintain data using a range of basic databases and records systems, including mailing lists, partners, and donors, office records, others as required.
- As needed, act as a representative for DOXA as part of the 110 Arts Cooperative and The Post at 750 facility.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in the field with financial and organizational management.
- Familiar with policies and best practices for not-for-profits.
- Strong comfort and experience with Quickbooks or similar accounting software.
- Understanding of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles).
- Proficiency with G Suite and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with database software, such as Salesforce an asset.
- Detail oriented and expert time management skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Please email your cover letter and resume to the Hiring Committee at email@example.com. Deadline to submit is 3:00pm, Wednesday, November 22, 2017.
We are seeking a dynamic individual who is interested in working in a busy, energetic, film-loving environment to fill the position of Development Assistant.
Contract: 24 weeks, from November 27 to May 18, 2018. Days will increase leading up to and during the festival in May. Total contract includes: 3 days per week from November to February, 4 days per week in March and April and full-time in May.
- Assist DOXA’s Development Manager to foster and maintain DOXA’s partnerships with key development stakeholders (donors and sponsors).
- Manage advertising sales for the 2018 Festival.
- Assist with research, creation and promotion of new partner, sponsor, donor and advertiser opportunities.
- Work with DOXA staff to organize all partner, sponsor, advertiser and donor information for print and web production.
- Update DOXA’s donor/sponsor database, Salesforce.
- Use Excel and Google sheets to track fundraiser, donor and sponsor information.
- Process monthly donor payments.
- Assist with fundraising initiatives and events.
- Coordinate communication and correspondence for sponsors, donors and advertisers and assist in material design.
Skills and Attributes:
- Excellent communication, community development, and people skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate well with a broad range of people.
- Good working knowledge of current marketing practice, platforms and skills.
- Project management and organizational skills.
- Event planning and management.
- A love of data management, and data entry.
- Independent organization, planning, and reporting skills.
- Interest in documentary film.
- Creative and collaborative, with a positive attitude.
- Experience with advertising sales.
- Commitment to cultural diversity, equal opportunity and excellent customer service.
- Graphic design and marketing skills an asset.
If you possess a passion for the arts, a sense of humour, the ability to work as a member of an enthusiastic team, and you thrive working in a flexible and creative environment, we want to hear from you!
Please send your resume and a cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be received by 3:00pm, Tuesday, November 14, 2017.
We strongly encourage applicants with lived experience, from First Nations communities, people of all races, colours, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and sexual identities to apply.
DOXA Documentary Film Festival, produced by The Documentary Media Society, is a community-oriented arts organization that premieres Canadian and international documentaries to Vancouver audiences during an annual 11-day festival, along with year-round programming and initiatives. The next festival will take place May 3-13, 2018.